Sunday 27 November 2011

Surround sound recording and video shoot...

Well its been a very busy weekend. Friday I booked the BBC hall in Swansea Metropolitan Uni to record the Capoeira musicians. I hired a couple of cameras from the uni, stage lighting and started to set up around noon. I was expecting the musicians to arrive after 1:30pm. I decided to save time I would just go straight ahead and set up the baffle boards and microphones. I knew the Brazilian music would be loud as several berimbau's were being used. I set up a stereo configuration known in the industry as ORTF, a middle microphone and rear microphones also in the ORTF configuration. I had a separate vocal mic for singer Sazuki. Once the musicians arrived I went through each configuration individually to confirm I was happy with the recording.




We had very limited recording time and I only managed to record four songs with added interruptions from cleaners. I haven't yet had chance to mix or even listen properly to the recordings and hope to do this Monday.

Since my conversation with Paul last Tuesday regarding my project and adding more audio content to it, I have decided to add to the recordings by including some drum loops and possibly other melody instruments like a bass line to make a remix. This isn't something I have done before so it'll be interesting to see the outcome!

Saturday was mostly filming on location. The Capoeira group had a big event in Swansea University and wanted me to film it. I wanted to record it as well but had major latency problems with the laptop I was using and had to forego the recording. However the audio from the camera's is very good and I may be able to use it.

My next plan is to look and listen to all the material I have and create a layout for the DVD and how to present the various media.

I'm hoping to do more filming at the groups academy Monday evening which I plan to use for the introduction to the DVD,before the menu appears; which will include my remix of the surround sound recordings and SFX.

No comments:

Post a Comment